Images: Super Thinking
People always think that being a manager and a leader are the same thing however they are two completely different jobs. A manager is not a Leader but a leader must be an effective manager.
1. Managers are more formal and scientific. They apply different type of method in order to make their group members perform very well, for instance, Theory X and Theory Y, Maslow’s Need of Hierarchy, The contingency approach, the system perspective etc. On the contrary,leaders influence and motivate. They do not use any method or rules to make people do what they want them to do. -Managers have employees where they imposed them to do things, leaders have followers.
2. Managers make people afraid of them because the employees know if they don’t get the things done as it was assigned they will get in trouble. They know the consequences will be very unkind. Leaders provide trust; they trust in their teammates and vice versa. – A manager manages a group of people, a leader creates a team.
3. A manager is always trying to minimize the risks; they want everything to be done perfectly and as soon as possible so that they can move on to something else. A leader takes risk; they always check out new things, even though they know it might be hurtful, they focus on the payoff that might be worth it.
4. Managers provide control; they tell others what to do and how they want it to be done without giving them any opportunities to be a part of the decision making. Leaders involve their teammates in the planning process. They know that they don’t have all the answers; they want the output of others.
5. When it comes to responsibility, a manager shifts the responsibility. They give everyone a specific task. A leader takes charge for everything they do, if something bad happen they will not blame others. They will do what has to be done.
6. Managers always follow the same way; they stick to the status quo and will always have the same outcome. The leaders set goals and directions, look for new road to achieve the goals.
A leader uses his/her heart, leads by example, inspires trust, and motivates other. While a manager tells what to do, does not involve anyone in the decision making, organizes, plans and controls. People doesn’t become a leader over night, it takes time for people to trust you without forcing them to do so. It is a quite accomplishment when people work together.